Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Does this count as a motif?

I was on a sort of roll for this ... okay, so the centre part looks a little bit crumply (and I still don't know what happened)... but I was doing great with the clovers (after a bad first start , this is a restart).... two rows of clovers in pink. And the final big row in that violet-blue which so many of my friends like.

and then I did the old faithful mistake ... not looking and tatting an extra clover and joined it... arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh.... this is the result. You can see the hole in there, if you look carefully.






Does it count as a motif ? I'm quite annoyed with it, so it's with my mother who promises to use it!.




The (botched) doiley is from the famous Blomqvist/Persson pattern book from Dover Publications. Tatted using DMC Cebelia no 30 in Blanc, 3326 and 3747.

well... on to the next!

5 comments:

snowy said...

I am always making mistakes like that, but you know I looked really carefully and counted, and I think what you have actually miss off the final joining chain. It may be possible to rectify if you feel you can face working on it again...but in any case I would certainly count it, after all those hours of work! My motif no. 2 had an error in it that I didn't spot until after I had posted it, and I certainly counted it!
Don't be downhearted, I am amazed by how well you are doing, when I remember how many little knotted messes I had to throw away before I actually had a finished article!

Anonymous said...

I love your new look darling!!!!

Sharon said...

Don't be discouraged, I wouldn't call this a motif, I'd call it a small doily, so of course it counts! It IS salvage-able. Carefully cut the last ring of the last cloverleaf. Pull the core thread out. Pull open the middle ring at the picots until you can pull the core thread out of it too. Do the same thing with the first ring. This should leave you with a long enough thread end to hide. Add the chain thread back in and complete the chain to join it to the first cloverleaf. Then hide all the ends. It's a bit aggravating, but it can be done.

You have a really good eye for colour and you picot size is staying consistent. The crumply bit in the centre will probably straighten out with blocking, as there doesn't seem to be any reason for it. Some designs are like that. We all learn much more from our mistakes than our successes.

Sharon said...

Ignore my previous comment.
I had to pull out my Blomqvist and Persson book to check. I am not sure, but I think that is the design where the pattern is wrong and it can't be made. The design is shown incomplete in the book because it doesn't work. I have never tatted it, but I remember someone else commenting on it.

***Jon**** said...

I have always wondered why that particular photo shows an incomplete piece - guess now I know why. I also had some problem when I was doing the Ace of Hearts (on page 87) where I had to make up on my own certain part of it in order to complete the piece